Tuesday, June 11, 2019

My cutie patooties

For about a month or so the kids have finally gotten into a groove playing with one another which has been pretty great. Obviously, they don't get along perfectly but them playing together is a big improvement over Emma hoarding toys and Henry taking them away and then handing them back after she started crying.

Both kids looking and smiling at the same time! Miracle.
Henry continues to learn so many words and he speaks really well for a not-even-two-year-old. Sometimes Emma even helps him practice words ("Henry, say ___"), and helps him say prayers (which is funny since she usually needs a bit of help). I just love how she talks to him (most of the time) which is very sweet and often seeking his opinion of or engagement in something.

Holding hands outside.
Sometimes I let Henry out of the stroller to walk the last part of our walk.
Emma is generally a good helper although she (and Henry, for that matter) often asks WHY? I find myself more mentally stretched every day answering a seemingly endless stream of questions. Emma likes to randomly ask me things like "have you ever... seen food that nobody else has seen?" She is, and has for a while, been a backseat driver asking why we're going a certain way or where we are or "why is it taking so long?"/"why is it far away?" (after being in the car for 3-5 minutes).

She likes to help in the kitchen which I try to encourage since I could use the help.
Henry has picked up a lot from his sister (thankfully not the backseat commentary), including putting away dishes which is pretty sweet.

Both kids like to sit down with books during the day if I'll read them - Emma almost anytime, Henry usually. Just yesterday I was sitting reading one of my library books and Henry grabbed one of his, climbed onto my lap and inserted himself and his book in between me and my book (I should have had Bry take a picture). That's his preferred position for book-looking, right on my lap. It's a bit hard when both the kids want to look at books since Henry doesn't like me to read all of every page but Emma does. We get through what we can.

Apparently this is her. She doesn't usually draw square heads but did this time.
The number of teeth she drew is frightening. And it looks like she's eating a hook - ?
This is definitely one of her weirder drawings but I love it.
Henry isn't as messy at dinnertime, though he still definitely makes a mess. He has started insisting on having a fork/spoon like the rest of us and does pretty well with either one. Instead of throwing food on the floor that he doesn't want to eat, usually he wants to put it on a plate that we then take away to avoid more mess. Tonight he made me laugh because dinner involved (kidney) beans and pork; he tried the beans but didn't want to eat them but ate up the pork and when we gave him more he very nearly cheered (excited hands fisted and raised). He is so my child - beans are gross and meat is delicious. He also already knows the words cookie and chocolate which I'm not too happy about but I can't really blame him because... he is my child. He has a sugar radar and will spot baked goods that Emma either doesn't notice or doesn't care about. 

He's getting more squirrly at church but is happy to go to nursery. About a week ago, toward the end of sacrament meeting, he was repeating "go!" indicating he was ready to go to nursery already. 

Snuggles. Emma has become more affectionate over the past year.
I think Henry has helped her in that way. He's a snuggly (though often busy) boy.
I sure love my crazy kids, even though they make me a bit crazy too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment